Saturday 22 November 2014



Beetroot Chutney..

Potbelly Foods first started by selling chutneys, dips and dry rubs at farmers markets years ago. Now the main end of the business is catering so I dont make them as much but when my veg producer dropped in a box of organic vegetables on Thursday the first thing that jumped out at me was the 3 beetroots in with the root vegetables.

I haven't made my Beetroot Chutney recipe in years so its great to make it again for my own consumption rather than a 20 litre pot of it.

The ingredients in this recipe can be messed around with and substituted within reason so you should have everything you need in your cupboard.


I used

3 Beetroot
1 Onion
4 tablespoons of Sugar
200ml of Sherry Vinegar
100ml of Red Wine (Italian Rosso)
1 teaspoon Paprika
2 teaspoons Cumin
Decent splash of Hot Sauce

Here is the best part chuck it all in a pot leave it simmer for an hour.. Done..

Dont be worried about ingredients just grate beetroot then add sugar & vinegar that's your basic after that you can add what you want I always add sliced onion but apples , parsnip, carrots,
pears, anything really can be added. with spices you can play around with whatever is in cupboard just done put too many spices in or you'll lose beetroot flavour.

I sterilise the jar by first putting it through dishwasher on intensive setting the baking it in oven at 180oc for 5-8 mins.
 By doing this the chutney will last for 3 month but once opened it will last in fridge for 2 weeks.


If you do try this let me know how it goes on twitter.. @potbellyfoods






No comments:

Post a Comment