Sunday 30 November 2014

Pulled Meats ...

About 8 years ago I went to a chefs forum in Dublin and a meat supplier was there with an American chef who was showing us a pulled pork recipe using the neck fillet of pork. I had seen it before with shoulder of pork but at the time I was sceptical about whether Irish people would take to pulled meats. I thought people would consider them to be mangled and overcooked but personally I like them.

It seems I was very wrong, pulled meats are everywhere. Lots of places have a BBQ pulled pork dish on lunch menus and sandwich bars, Bord Bia did a Ham Sandwich promo during the summer and the winner was a pulled ham wrap, even KFC have a pulled chicken burger on their menu.

I may put up a pulled pork recipe in future but really the trick is to buy a good shoulder of pork 
(I always use the shoulder as the muscle fibres are long) I prefer to take skin off then brown it in pan . Put it in an oven dish and wrap it all up tight with 2 layers of tin foil then stick it in the oven as hot as it will go and immediatly turn oven down to about 150oc for 5 hours. 

After this pull the meat off the bone and discard the fatty bits, Shred with 2 forks and thats it... Done..

Of course there are lots of seasonings you can use before oven and sauces after pork comes out but the principal is same every time.

For our BBQs I prefer to do Pork Belly (because I absolutely love it, see older blog posts for my twice cooked recipe) but the odd time I do pulled pork or lamb at clients request.

Will it still be as popular in a few years maybe not as prevalent but I think pulled meats are here to stay.












No comments:

Post a Comment